At Activity Centres Inc we value play and the role it plays in children’s growth, learning and development. The United Nations rights of the child; Article 31 states that ‘all children have the right to relax and play, and join in a wide range of cultural, artistic and other recreational activities’. We aim to be this place for children; where children relax and play freely with peers, through offering a wide variety of free play experiences as well as programmed activities that are based on child interest and developmental milestones.
Our Program Statement:
Our aim is to provide all children with the opportunity to engage in a diverse variety of freely chosen activities that are fun, meaningful and challenging, by allowing child focused play. Offering a wide variety of resources will allow each child to engage in play with their peers or on their own to enable them to develop skills and confidence at a level they feel comfortable.
There are Educational Benefits of Allowing Children to learn through Play:
Research supports that playful behaviour appears to have positive effects on the brain and on a child’s ability to learn. In fact, play may function as an important, if not crucial, mode for learning.
Play is beneficial because:
- It is a meaningful context for children to learn concepts and skills.
- It makes learning fun and enjoyable and allows children to enhance curiosity and creativity.
- It encourages children to explore and discover with their peers or on their own.
- It allows children to extend their interests.
- Children can experiment and take risks.
- Play provides opportunities for collaborative learning with adults and peers.
- It gives time and allows for the practicing of developing skills.
- It assists with the development of social skills and friendships.
- It stimulates a sense of wellbeing and self-confidence.
- It supports self-esteem and can reduce anxiety.
- Play has therapeutic effects.